Monday, March 17, 2008

"Jesus loves me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20

That's Carter's verse for the week, which led to quite a conversation with him tonight!
Let me start at the beginning...
while working on this verse tonight, I came up with motions for each section.
"Jesus (nails prints in hands) loves me (point to yourself) and gave Himeself (arms outstretched like Jesus' on cross) for me (point to yourself)."

Carter asked why the Jesus did that... which led to a 10 minute conversation standing in the bathroom (we review his verse while he's brushing his teeth... kind of funny since he's brushing his teeth and doing his verse at the same time!). Brushing his teeth were forgotten while he kept asking questions. During the course of the talk, I shared how Jesus died to take our place so that we can go to heaven to be with God once we've placed our trust in Him. Carter looked at me and said he needed to do that!!!

(I pause to say that there was a time last year that "I was told" he prayed and asked Jesus into his heart, but given his age I held out confidence in it... plus I wasn't present... not that I need to be... but anyway..
I also share here that I asked Jesus into my heart at the age of 4... and I'm CONFIDENT OF THIS! I remember very clearly the place I was and the feeling inside! I prayed silently, but was in the car with my family when I gave my life to Christ!)

Back to tonight...Hayden was ALL over the place and into EVERYTHING while I'm trying to talk to Carter... so I put Hayden to bed. Then I got my Children's Study Bible (with the wordless book in the front cover) We talked through it... this was at least a 20minute talk with a 5 year old. After talking, He said he wanted to pray... so I let him! He said he wanted me to say the words... so I said.."Just tell GOD what you're telling me... He loves you even more than I do and thinks your jokes are even funnier than I do... just talk to Him."
Carter said he wanted the wordless book open to look at while he prayed... This is part of what he said, "Dear Jesus, I want my heart to look like this...(pointing to the white pages)" It was so sweet He couldn't stop smiling and grinning the whole time! I asked him how he felt inside... he said "excited".
So we decided to call several family members because HE wanted to ask them if they had asked Jesus into their hearts!
Words can't say how excited I am! There was just a level of understanding and maturity in his questions and words that only God can give! (I honestly was waiting for him to change the subject at any moment to his Playstation 2 game... like in past times when I tried to bring the subject up... but he didn't! To me it's proof that GOD was working in him!)

Bryan just went up to kiss him goodnight (He just got home from work).
Carter told him, "DID you know there are streets of GOLD in heaven and you never get hurt there! Hayden hasn't asked Jesus into his heart yet..." That just touches me that he's already concerned for his brother and friends!
I CAN'T wait to see what GOD does with him... He has such amazing talents that when GOD uses them... it'll be AWESOME!
I feel like singing! (don't worry I won't!) but I sure feel like it right now!

4 comments:

Keilah said...

WOW Carter!!!! I'm so proud of you! Jesus does love you so much and I bet He's really excited that you asked Him to make your heart clean!!! I love you so much and I can't wait to give you LOTS of hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord that is so great:0 Can't wait to meet him this summer.
Jennifer B

Kelly said...

YEAH, CARTER! I'm so excited for you! Did your mommy tell you about all the angels in Heaven singing just for YOU?? Keep learning your verses and you'll learn a lot more about Heaven and Jesus.

GE is me said...

Karen, (& Carter)that is sooo awesome. Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough with my little ones who'll be 3 in a week.
-Gail